Thursday, May 22, 2014

out of the mouth of babes

Every Monday night, our family has Family Night... or Family Home Evening.  Sometimes Family Fight even works.  We reserve the night for our family to spend time together, pray, have a spiritual thought or lesson, have an activity (like 'duck duck goose' or Simon says, etc), and a special treat (thankfully a special treat for our kids can even be a handful of mini marshmallows or chocolate chips).

This last Monday we had a discussion on safety.  We were talking about what our family plan is in case there is a fire in our home.  Naturally, the kids started in on the "what if..." game.  Some were legitimate, some were silly.  We came to the conclusion that there could be a million 'what if's and that we'll just do the best we can if it ever happens.

And then my 7 year-old says in a giggly serious kind of way, "What if Mom is grumpy when we wake her up to tell her there's a fire?"...... (looking at me cautiously and still giggling)...."Because sometimes you are really grumpy when we wake you up."  We were all laughing..... because it's TRUE.  Okay, not always true... I can be really patient and kind and compassionate to my kids, but... apparently... that must be the exception.

It was funny, yes, and I still think it's funny, but it definitely made me realize that I need to do better.  I actually have been doing better, but I've still got a long way to go.  I don't want them to remember me forever as Ms. Grumpy Pants in the morning.  I want to help their morning be bright and cheerful.  When I'm up before them, I have time to fully wake up and feel ready to go... and I'm happy... most of the time.  ;)

My mom always tells me how grouchy I was when I was a little 3 year old.  Here is my 3 year old now.  I can see the resemblance.